Monastery of Saint Peter of Cête

Paredes
Description

The foundation of the Monastery of Saint Peter of Cête, traditionally attributed to the nobleman D. Gonçalo Oveques, dates back to the 10th century.
It was restored between the end of the 12th century and the beginning of the 14th century at the will of the abbot D. Estevão Anes, evidence of which may be seen in the limestone inscription near his tomb.
Only the first rows of the nave's walls and the south portal facing the cloister from the 10th century building were kept and used.
Despite the Gothic reformation, the Church has long borne witness to Romanesque shapes and construction.
The bell tower shelters the restored burial chapel of D. Gonçalo Oveques, along with the chapter hall and the cloister of the Manueline period [15th-16th centuries].
In 1551, the Monastery ceased to belong to the Order of Saint Benedict, and was annexed to the College of the Grace of the Hermits of Saint Augustine in Coimbra.
Highlighted inside the Monastery are the images of Saint Peter, Saint Lucia and Our Lady of Grace all in limestone, as well as the mural painting of Saint Sebastian which dates back to the 16th century.

 


Location: Paredes
Hotel Rural Quinta da Vista Alegre

Hotel Rural Quinta da Vista Alegre

Hotel Rural Quinta da Vista Alegre retains all the architectural charm of aristocratic building...
More info
Cortiço

Cortiço

It is a rustic, comfortable and cozy space where different dishes of traditional Portuguese...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation