Monastery of Costa

Guimarães
Description
According to tradition the monastery was founded in 1154 by  Queen  Mafalda, wife of  King Afonso Henriques. The site has vestiges of a pre-roman temple. Although originally donated  to the monks of St Augustine, this order was replaced by the monks of St. Jeronimo in 1528. There is a stairway dating from the 18th century leading up to the church which has a Rococo facade. The granite dome of the chancel is in the renaissance style. Inside there are a remarkable set of  religious sculptures.  The monastery suffered a disastrous fire in 1951 but since then has undergone restoration transforming it into a Pousada.

Location: Guimarães
Open Village Sports Hotel & Spa Club ****

Open Village Sports Hotel & Spa Club ****

"The Open Village Sports Hotel & Spa Club is the perfect fusion of sport, leisure and wellness,...
More info
Pousada Mosteiro de Guimarães

Pousada Mosteiro de Guimarães

1 km from the centre of Guimarães, the birthplace of the Portuguese nation, the POUSADA DE SANTA...
More info
Restaurante Casa Piedade

Restaurante Casa Piedade

Located in the historic city, this century old house was founded in 1907. It has two rooms with...
More info
Taberna Mourisca

Taberna Mourisca

The cuisine in the council of Fafe is enjoyed by locals and visitors. Restaurant Taberna...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation