Hospital de S. José

Fafe
Description

The Hospital de S. José de Fafe, which initially was named as the Hospital of "Charity," and later of "Mercy", is a venture that Brazilians are associated, as they were who financed its construction. This was followed by a project of building another House of "Charity" in Rio de Janeiro. Its construction began in 1859.

The hospital was opened to the public on 19th March 1863, being on St. Joseph Day, who later gave its name to the building. 

Initially, it started functioning only with nursing services, aiding patients that had no medication and no means of treatment at home.

Later on a pharmacy was installed. On the upper floor, there were wards for the sick, a chapel, a bathhouse an operating theatre fully equipped with the latest surgical equipment, an x-ray room and a maternity, out of use already since the 80’s.

Currently, the Santa Casa da Misericórdia is responsible for the management of the Hospital of St. Joseph.

 

Location: Fafe
Parque de Campismo da Barragem de Queimadela

Parque de Campismo da Barragem de Queimadela

Fafe is known as the living room of Minho and is praised for its welcoming spirit and its art of...
More info
Hotel Mestre de Avis**

Hotel Mestre de Avis**

The Hotel Mestre de Avis is one of the best located hotels in Guimarães. Situated in the...
More info
Casa de Pasto Reis

Casa de Pasto Reis

The cuisine in the council of Fafe is enjoyed by locals and visitors. Restaurant Casa de Pasto...
More info
Egas Moniz

Egas Moniz

The cuisine in the council of Fafe is enjoyed by locals and visitors. Restaurant Egas Moniz is...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation