Manor Houses - Quinta do Mosteiro

Maia
Description

The - Quinta do Mosteiro - Manor house dates back many centuries. It was founded by the Augustinian monks of Santa Cruz in 1060. However, during the course of 500 years the neglect of time led to its dilapidation and it was necessary to rebuild it. Reconstruction of the farm house began under Father Brandão in the seventeenth century and ended in 1622.

In the 19th century the monastery was sold to the liberal tribune José Estevão Coelho de Guimarães.

The Quinta do Mosteiro reached full splendour at the time of Counsellor Luís de Magalhães at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century.

Luís de Magalhães was a statesman, a royalist combatant and an intellectual of the 1870s, who was a close friend of writers Oliveira Martins and Eça de Queirós. The latter referred to the Quinta do Mosteiro and its special beauty several times in his books.

Today the Quinta still maintains its charm. Belonging to two families, the Quinta do Mosteiro continues to be part of the heritage of Maia, a guardian of past history.

GPS: 41º14'51.21"N   8º39'32.17"O

Location: Maia
Hotel Pão de Açucar

Hotel Pão de Açucar

Located next to  Avenida dos Aliados, it has 50 rooms with private bathroom, hairdryer,...
More info
Hotel Central Parque 4*

Hotel Central Parque 4*

The Central Parque Hotel, situaded at the town's center, with its proximity to the airport,...
More info
Petisqueira Cozinha com Amor

Petisqueira Cozinha com Amor

Weekly Rest Day: MondayOutdoor TerracePayment Methods: MBway and Cash
More info
Ponte da Pedra

Ponte da Pedra

Closed Sunday to Dinner
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation