Church of Saint Vincent of Sousa

Felgueiras
Description

The Church of Saint Vincent of Sousa displays two inscriptions on its façade. The first dating from 1162 and marking the construction of an arcosolium [embedded tomb]; the other, engraved in 1214, celebrates the Dedication of the Church [beginning of the cult].
The Church is composed of a single nave and a rectangular chancel, enlarged in the Modern Age (17th-18th centuries).
The main façade features a Romanesque portal which opens out as a pentagonal structure stemming from the façade. This means the portal may be larger and more impressive symbolically.
The lateral façades end in small arches on plain modillions as in other Romanesque churches in the area of Tâmega and Sousa.
A drip-course runs over corbels on half of the wall of the south façade, suggesting that a roofed porch or a cloister [inner patio of a monastery] used to exist here.
The carvings and paintings of themes alluding to the lives of Saint Vincent, Saint Joseph and the Mysteries of the Rosary date from the Modern Age.
The paintings on the ceiling of the chancel were completed in 1693 by Manuel Freitas Padrão, one of the founders of the Brotherhood of Saint Luke of Guimarães.

Location: Felgueiras
"O Primo Basílio" Restaurant

"O Primo Basílio" Restaurant

This restaurant provide typical gastronomy, and has rustic decoration. 
More info
Tasca da Isaura Restaurant

Tasca da Isaura Restaurant

Tasca da Isaura is a reference point for the most typical is done in terms of gastronomy in...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation