Church of Saint Andrew of Vila Boa de Quires

Marco de Canaveses
Description

The Church of Vila Boa de Quires was built in the second quarter of the 13th century, as part of a monastic complex. It seems to have been secularized already in the 14th century and was linked to the lineage of the Portocarreiros, with particular local and regional importance throughout the Middle Ages.
The main façade stands out as one of the most elaborate in the Baixo Tâmega, similar to the Church of Barrô (Resende). The portal resembles the one in the Church of the Monastery of Paço de Sousa (Penafiel), featuring decorated capitals with symmetrical motifs of botanic nature. The corbels [salient support stones] feature the shape of bovine heads. The entire façade was displaced in 1881 when the nave was expanded and the bell tower was added.
The interior contrasts with the sobriety of the façade and the detachment imposed by the granite ornaments. The most noticeable artistic differences may be found in the chancel. The Neoclassical altarpiece [main altar] features a large canvas alluding to the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. In the vault of the chancel, a set of 18th  century paintings narrate scenes of the Trial and Passion of Christ, whose journey ends in the mural painting on the triumphal arch, in the nave.

 


Location: Marco de Canaveses
Quinta da Calçada do Souto

Quinta da Calçada do Souto

Quinta da Calçada do Souto is an agrotourism project implemented in the Municipality of Marco de...
More info
CAMPO DE SOBARBO - rural guest house

CAMPO DE SOBARBO - rural guest house

A resting space, tranquility and natural beauty to enjoy? without hurry! Part of the Romanesque...
More info
Restaurant Dona Mafalda

Restaurant Dona Mafalda

Located at the gates of the city of Marco de Canaveses, with a privileged view on the river...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation