Ancient House of Council

Vila Nova de Cerveira
Description

Following the signature of the Treaty of Alcanices and definition of the borders between Portugal and Spain, King Dinis made several efforts to mark and defend the boundaries of his kingdom. He attributed to Cerveira the first Charter Letter in 1321. It was therefore born Vila Nova de Cerveira. King Dinis ordered to populate these lands, greatly increasing the population of the locality that existed here before. In 1512, King Manuel attributed new the charter letter to the town, taking some power to the local nobility. By then, it has been built the Chamber House to meet the good men of Cerveira in assemblies that would dictate the destinies of the Village. Beside would be the chain. The current design of the Chamber House is, however, of the eighteenth century, when has been put the baroque façade shield, topped by a royal crown.
Oldest, the sixteenth century is the piece on the west facade, which contains the heraldry of the county: In it, on the back of a deer relies on a real shield with 7 castles and 5 quinas. On top we can found the Cross of Christ and the armillary sphere. From what we know is the oldest heraldic shield of the county.

Location: Vila Nova de Cerveira
Quinta da Gandra

Quinta da Gandra

With a rustic decor and a large garden, Quinta da Gandra has 5 bedrooms and a surrounding...
More info
Luso Galaico

Luso Galaico

Traditional cuisine Fish Specialties: Codfish "à Luso" Meat: Lamb "Front Leg" Sweets: Crème...
More info
Adega Real

Adega Real

Traditional cuisine Specialities: Fish: codfish, octopus, lamprey and shad Meat: Rojões à...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation